Challenges in Sustaining Community-based Participatory Research
Your flash plugin is outdated or not installed.
Get the latest Flash Player HERE.
May 2 2008
Jennie Joe PhD, MPH discusses challenges in community-based participatory research, avenues for overcoming barriers, strategies for sustaining community partnerships and capacity building in communities.
Guide Questions for this Presentation:
- Outline the guideposts for evaluating the sustainability of Community -Based Participatory Research (CBPR).
- Discuss the “tight-rope” that CBPR researchers often have to walk between academic and community expectations.
- What does Joe mean when she says that CBPR is an “alternative paradigm”?
- What serves as evidence of sustainability as discussed in the White Mountain/Johns Hopkins, the Center for AI/AN Mental Health Research and the University of Colorado, and the NARTC at the University of Arizona examples?
- What are the barriers to CBPR?
- What are strategies that Joe shares that make sustainability possible?